Zoom and Chromecast can be used together. As a result, you can, for example, present the screen of your smartphone with the video call on the television. You can read exactly how to arrange that in this extensive article about all Zoom options with Chromecast.
Want Zoom and Chromecast to work together? Which can! It is possible to stream the images from Zoom to a large screen using the Chromecast. There are several ways to do this on Andorid, iOS and of course also from the PC. Zoom and Chromecast work together and in this article we explain how it works.
What is Zoom?
Recently, more and more people are working from home, as companies realize that working from home does not have a major negative impact on work. Working from home means we all have to work together and meet in a different way, and a program like Zoom can of course help with that.
Zoom is a program for your computer, smartphone or tablet that allows you to hold online meetings and gatherings. This can be for your work, but also for your friends, for example appointments with a psychologist or for online classes.
So the app is a very handy tool that can be used in different situations. You use the app on Android, iOS, Macs and Windows devices. In addition, there is support for Chromebooks and you can use Zoom on smart displays, such as a Google Nest Hub.
But what if you want a Zoom meeting cast from one device to another, for example because a large screen like a TV is a lot more convenient? Then you can just do that, but not without a detour. Zoom and Chromecast don’t work well together, namely
Zoom and Chromecast: Cast from Android or iOS
If you want to cast from an Android or iOS device, then of course you need the app on that smartphone or tablet. In addition, you must have a separate Chromecast or TV / media player with built-in Chromecast (which are on the same network). Then you proceed as follows.
- Unlock your Android smartphone and in the notification panel (the quick menu that you pull down on the home screen), press a button called Cast, Screencast, or Screen Share.
- Nearby Chromecast devices that have been installed correctly now appear on the screen. Don’t see your Chromecast? Then check whether you have set it up correctly.
- After making the connection, open the Zoom app on your smartphone and you can start video calling. Everything you see and do on your screen, someone else in the room will see too. So keep that in mind.
- iOS users must first download a third-party app, such as Streamer for Chromecast.
- After installing, open the app and press the Cast button.
- Select the right Chromecast where you iPhone should connect with.
- Now click on the Screen Cast option. A pop-up will now appear. Tap that to start the stream.
- Now open the Zoom app and start your meeting or online gathering.
Zoom and Chromecast: Streaming from a PC
Even if you want to stream from a PC or laptop, you will of course need a Chromecast or a device with Chromecast built-in. The PC or laptop must be on the same network as the Chromecast devices, otherwise they won’t find each other.
- Make sure you have the correct software on your computer. You need the Zoom app and the Google Chrome browser.
- Open the Google Chrome browser and press the three dots at the top right.
- Then select the option Cast…
- Then select the option to cast your entire screen by clicking on Sources.
- Now you choose the target device in your network (the Chromecast).
- Then open the Zoom app and start meeting. The image is displayed on your TV, for example. Since you’re casting the entire screen, people around you will see the other things you’re doing on your computer, too. Be aware of this.
You may also run into audio problems while casting. This problem lies with Zoom and has nothing to do with your setup. Zoom and Chromecast do not work very well together, but as you can see there is a detour to work around, luckily.
Also keep in mind that for an optimal conversation you also need a (web)cam, so that you can make video calls. The setup of Zoom with a Chromecast can therefore be a bit of a puzzle. In any case, there are options to stream to a large screen.
The Chromecast can be used with many other services and devices. For example, you can use it in combination with Twitch and Spotify. iPhone users have it a bit more difficult and the same goes for people who like to watch content from video streaming service Apple TV+.