If your smartphone is on the lucky list, you can upgrade it to the latest version of Microsoft’s operating system, Windows 10 Mobile. The affected phones are: Nokia / Microsoft Lumia 1520, 930, 640, 640XL, 730, 735, 830, 532, 535, 540, 635 (1GB), 636 (1GB), 638 (1GB), 430 and 435. For other brands: BLU Win HD w510u, BLU Win HD LTE x150q and MCJ Madosma Q501.
This tutorial explains how update a Lumia Windows Phone smartphone to Windows 10 Mobile. It is strongly recommended to connect to a wifi network to proceed with the update, on the one hand to download the W10M program more quickly, on the other hand to avoid using the entire 3G / 4G plan of the subscription mobile.
If this procedure for upgrading to Windows 10 Mobile is official, it is reserved for people who know that an upgrade of this kind always involves a risk. The applications and accounts configured on the phone will normally be kept, but you must be ready to reinstall them in the event of a problem. For the most novice users, have someone help you and
Backing up personal files
Before any such important operation, it is advisable to back up your personal files (photos, videos, music, documents, etc.): by connecting the Lumia to a computer, by using the OneDrive cloud, by storing on the MicroSD card if the phone has it.
Preparing to upgrade with Upgrade Advisor
1. Install the app Upgrade Advisor / Upgrade Advisor since Windows Store
or click on this link from the phone: https://www.microsoft.com/fr-fr/store/apps/updateadvisor/9nblggh0f5g4
2. Find and open the program Upgrade Advisor / Upgrade Advisor in the app list.
3. A search for updates is automatically made.
4. If the phone is compatible, a message “ Upgrade available » is displayed on the screen.
5. Check line ” Enable Windows 10 Upgrade » and press Following.
6. A second update search is performed.
7. The message “Ready to upgrade” means that the update tool has validated that the phone will be able to upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile. Click on Finished.
Upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile
1. Open the Settings Windows Phone 8. Find and open “ phone update ” in the list.
2. The Upgrade Advisor tool started downloading Windows 10 Mobile, you can follow the progress in this screen. Wait the necessary time, which varies according to the Internet connection used.
3. A notification warns that the update is ready to install.
4. Click on Install and Accept conditions.
5. The phone restarts on its own and the operation lasts a good half hour during which the smartphone is not usable. On a Lumia 532, the operation took 40 minutes and used 20% of the battery.
6. The smartphone has now switched to Windows 10 Mobile: the home screen changes little compared to WindowsPhone.
A notification says “Updates have been installed” to confirm the upgrade.
You can check the installed version of the system from the Settings of Windows 10 Mobile.
Switching to w10m involves updating applications, which will be done automatically (with the default settings, otherwise find them manually). A good thirty applications will be upgraded with Windows 10, allow this additional time to finalize the installation of the smartphone.
In the end, on a Lumia 8GB with original WP8, no third-party application and an update to W10M, we end up with 3.29GB used on the 7.28GB of internal memory.