Windows Live Mail offers more features than the software built into Windows 8, Mail. It also has the advantage of working on Windows 7, Vista and XP, in addition to Windows 8 and 8.1.
Follow this tutorial to install Windows Live Mail, then simply follow the following procedure to configure an @gmail.com address or a Google Apps business account.
Getting Started: Enable IMAP in Gmail
1. Connect to the webmail of gmail at the address : https://mail.google.com/
2. At the top right, click on the button of gear wheel then on Settings.
3. Go to tab Forwarding and POP/IMAP.
4. In the “IMAP access” section, click on ” Enable IMAP ” and on Record at the end of the page.
5. The Gmail or Google Apps for Work account is now ready to be configured in mail software such as Windows Live Mail.
Allow Windows Live Mail to connect to Gmail
1. Sign in to Gmail or Google Apps for Work account from a web browser.
2. At the top right of the screen, click on profile picture then ” My account ” in blue.
3. In the “Connection and security” section, click on “ Connected apps and sites“.
4. Pass the parameter ” Allow less secure apps from “disabled” to ” activated by clicking on the button on the right.
5. Windows Live Mail can now host a Gmail box.
Add a Gmail or Google Apps account in Windows Live Mail
1. Open the software Windows Live Mail.
2. An email account setup wizard opens automatically.
If you wish to add an additional account, click on the “Accounts” tab then “E-mail address”.
Enter thee-mail address and the password associate. The ” shown name » is usually your first and last name, so that your interlocutors know who is writing to them. Validate by Following.
If an error message in yellow is displayed (example above), it means that the first part of the tutorial has not been followed correctly: repeat the steps from the beginning.
3. The configuration is automatic, a valid message that the account has been successfully added to Windows Live Mail.
4. Message synchronization takes a few moments to retrieve all pending messages.