After years of Outlook Express and Windows Mail, Windows 8 inaugurated Mail, the new application to manage emails. Those allergic to webmails (Hotmail, Gmail, etc.) therefore seek to configure the Mail software to send and receive emails.
The application is pre-configured if you are using a Microsoft account for Windows 8 (understand: if you provided your email address when you first started the computer, as opposed to the local account: explanations). In this case, just open the Mail app to send and receive messages.
Configure an email account in Mail for Windows 8 / 8.1
1. Open the icon Mail on the home screen.
2. The first start suggests indicating email address and password associated, the account setup is very quick and does not require more information if you are using a known provider.
3. The mails are immediately displayed in the Inbox.
Add another email account in Mail
1. If need to add another account, justgo to the right corners of the screen (with the Mail software open) to display the charms bar, click on Settings, Accounts and Add an account.
2. Choose between the provider of the e-mail address:
- Outlook.com : if you have an address in @ hotmail.com or .fr, @ live.com or .fr, @ hotmail.com or .fr, @ msn.com, @ outlook.com or .fr
- Exchange : corporate email and Office 365 accounts
- Google : @ gmail.com and Google Apps
- Orange : @ orange.fr and @ wanadoo.fr
- Yahoo : @ yahoo.fr or .com and @ ymail.com
- Other account : for all other e-mail addresses, enter the information manually
If your address is one of these, configuration is done in a few clicks. Otherwise, click on Other account.
3. Type of Exchange or IMAP account: choose IMAP.
4. Indicate the information concerning your account:
- e-mail : email address (for example firstname.lastname@example.org)
- username : the name that will be displayed when you send an email (eg Windows Easy)
- Password : the password linked to your email address
- Incoming mail server (IMAP) : usually imap.supplier.fr (eg imap.free.fr or imap.numericable.com: listing)
- Harbor (IMAP): leave 993 by default for a secure IMAP connection
- Check “The incoming server requires SSL” to establish a secure connection
- Outgoing mail server (SMTP) : indicate your provider’s SMTP server, such as smtp.supplier.fr (eg smtp.free.fr or smtp.numericable.com: listing)
Note that sending mail will depend on your internet connection: you can send Free mails from an Orange Livebox but you will have to indicate smtp.orange.fr, that is to say the SMTP of the internet connection used.
- Harbor (SMTP): leave 465 by default (more secure than 25)
- Leave the following lines checked: “Outgoing server requires SSL”; “Outgoing server requires authentication”; “Use the same username and password to send and receive e-mail”
Follow these guides to set up Mail with an account:
Please note, it is only possible to configure an e-mail account IMAP. This means that POP and POP3 accounts cannot be used in the Mail app.
For this, you will need to use the software Windows Live Mail : procedure here.
Delete an email account in Mail
1. In Mail, open the charms bar, Settings, Accounts and click on the account which will be deleted.
2. Scroll down to the bottom to click on the ” Delete account “.
3. If the choice is offered, you can delete the account on this computer only or on all devices connected with the same Microsoft account.
Mail application options
Windows 8 Courier software was very poor in configuration options. The Windows 8.1 version adds a few more, but we are far from a real messaging software.
It is still not possible to request an acknowledgment of receipt or to personalize the alerts (message and sound) when a new message arrives. It will therefore be necessary to be patient to perhaps see these options appear during a future update of the application.
On the other hand, Courrier on Windows 8.1 allows dragging and dropping messages to a folder (drag & drop) and bookmarking classification folders. We are getting closer to the Outlook.com interface but we are far from the functions of a classic webmail, not to mention the quality and possibilities of a Gmail.
Can’t see all of your old messages in Mail? It is necessary configure the synchronization period.