Microsoft offers owners of a Windows 7 computer to upgrade for free to Windows 10. A wizard will do the upgrade automatically but you may want to install Windows 10 right away with the official Microsoft tool. This concerns the Windows 7 Home Premium (Home Premium Edition) versions which will be migrated to Windows 10 Home and Windows 7 Professional which will switch to Windows 10 Pro. We are therefore going to replace Windows 7 by Windows 10. It is free and legal, authorized and offered by Microsoft.
Mandatory condition: have Service Pack 1 for Windows 7. Only Windows 7 SP1 can be updated to Windows 10. To be safe, install all updates via Windows Update before starting this process. If not, try and you will be warned if something is missing to prepare for the W10 upgrade.
The procedure is free and easy to perform, but before embarking on such an important update, it is essential to back up your personal files on USB key or external hard drive to avoid losing documents and photos in the event of a problem during the operation.
Switch from Windows 7 to Windows 10
1. From the Windows 7 PC, download the utility from WindowsFacile.fr (guaranteed virus and malware free):
Download “Windows 10 Media Creation Tool (64bits)” W10-MediaCreationTool-64bits.exe – Downloaded 4306849 times – 19 MB
Download “Windows 10 Media Creation Tool (32bits)” W10-MediaCreationTool-32bits.exe – Downloaded 561645 times – 17 MB
Depending on the architecture of the computer, choose 32bits or 64bits. How do you know? Answer here.
or go to this page to download the update tool :
and click on the button ” Download the tool now “.
2. Open file downloaded.
3. “What do you want to do? “:” Upgrade this PC now “.
4. The Windows 10 installation system downloads automatically (approximately 3GB).
Let check the download and create Windows 10 support to prepare for the installation.
5. Accept the license agreement or enter the Windows 7 product key if the assistant asks for it. If you don’t have it immediately, click “I’m reinstalling Windows 10 on this PC” and continue.
6. The tool downloads the latest updates for Windows 10.
7. At step ” Choose what to keep », The installation of Windows 10 may keep personal files (photos, music, documents, etc.) and applications compatible (almost all).
8. Everything is ready to install Windows 10 Home instead of Windows 7 and keep documents and programs. Close open software and click on To install to start the upgrade to Windows 10.
9. The installation actually begins.
Several computer restarts will take place during the operation.
10. At the end of the installation, Windows welcomes the session name retrieved from Windows 7: click on Following.
11. Click on ” Personalization settings To change the privacy settings.
12. Deactivate the requested permissions then do Following.
13. Deactivate these new demands, except the first (SmartScreen) which can help protect PC from internet threats.
14. Connect to the Windows 7 profile session (with the password if there is one).
The computer went from Windows 7 to Windows 10 in just a few steps!
Remark : if the wizard asks for a Windows product key, give it your Windows 7 serial number. This is usually indicated on a sticker attached to the computer (under a laptop PC or on the central unit a fixed desktop PC). If that does not work, you can use this temporary key which will work while the Windows 10 upgrade is installed. You will then have to activate your Windows 10 with the correct key.
- Key for Windows 10 Home: TX9XD-98N7V-6WMQ6-BX7FG-H8Q99
- Key for Windows 10 Professional: VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T
If there is an error during the operation to switch from Windows 7 to Windows 10 for free 2020 2019, first check that no update is pending in Windows Update. Then come ask the question on the forum to receive free and personalized help.