You have bought a computer abroad (prices in the United States and the exchange rate $ – € are interesting), imported a tablet from China or took advantage of border sales? There is a good chance that the preinstalled version of Windows will be in English, German, or some other language that is not practical for everyday use.
This tutorial explains how easily change the language of Windows 10 to translate all menus and texts into your preferred language.
In this example, we are passing a Windows 10 English to French.
Change the Windows 10 system language
1. Open the Settings Windows 10 (Settings in English).
2. Click on ” Time and language “(Time & language):
3. In the left menu, click on ” Region and language “(Region & language):
4. Click on ” Add a language “(Add a language):
5. Select the desired language in the list.
6. Choose the language country, if several proposals exist.
7. Click on the new language added to set it as default.
8. Click on ” Set as default language “(Set as default in English) so that this new language is the one that is applied to all Windows 10. It will be active the next time you restart the computer.
9. Restart Windows to take into account the new default language.
Change the language of the Windows 10 keyboard
If Windows switches to French on an American or Asian computer with a QWERTY type keyboard, you must not use the AZERTY format for the French language by default. This therefore concerns physical keyboards built into laptops. Tablets use a virtual keyboard that adapts to the language, and desktops can benefit from a new, completely standard keyboard, bought in the local store or a 10 € keyboard on the internet.
1. Click on the added language and ” Options “:
2. Click on the ” Add a keyboard “(Add a keyboard).
3. Choose the type of keyboard according to the physical keyboard (the real one) of the computer.
Change Windows 10 date and time format
Switching from an English to French system also requires changing the date and time format.
1. In Settings, Time and language, click on ” Date and hour »(Date & time) from the left menu.
2. Edit the date and time formats to stick to the commonly used one.