Microsoft regularly releases free product keys for different versions of Windows. Also known as public product keys or virtual keys, it’s not immediately clear what they are for or why you’re using them.
Will you be offered a free copy of Windows? Is it available for use on any device? Why is Microsoft making it available for free? Let’s take a closer look with some details.
What are Windows 10 generic product keys?
Public product keys allow users to install any version of Windows on their devices. Each version of Windows has its own key.
Here is a list of all Windows 10 generic product keys available in 2020:
- Windows 10 Home: YTMG3-N6DKC-DKB77–7M9GH-8HVX7
- Windows 10 Home N: 4CPRK-NM3K3-X6XXQ-RXX86-WXCHW
- Windows 10 Home Single Language: BT79Q-G7N6G-PGBYW-4YWX6–6F4BT
- Windows 10 Pro: VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T
- Windows 10 Pro N: 2B87N-8KFHP-DKV6R-Y2C8J-PKCKT
- Windows 10 Pro for Workstations: DXG7C-N36C4-C4HTG-X4T3X-2YV77
- Windows 10 Pro N for Workstations: WYPNQ-8C467-V2W6J-TX4WX-WT2RQ
- Windows 10 Pro Education: 8PTT6-RNW4C-6V7J2-C2D3X-MHBPB
- Windows 10 Pro Education N: GJTYN-HDMQY-FRR76-HVGC7-QPF8P
- Windows 10 Education: YNMGQ-8RYV3–4PGQ3-C8XTP-7CFBY
- Windows 10 Education N: 84NGF-MHBT6-FXBX8-QWJK7-DRR8H
- Windows 10 Enterprise: XGVPP-NMH47–7TTHJ-W3FW7–8HV2C
- Windows 10 Enterprise GN: FW7NV-4T673-HF4VX-9X4MM-B4H4T
- Windows 10 Enterprise N: WGGHN-J84D6-QYCPR-T7PJ7-X766F
- Windows 10 Enterprise N LTSB 2016: RW7WN-FMT44-KRGBK-G44WK-QV7YK
- Windows 10 Enterprise S: NK96Y-D9CD8-W44CQ-R8YTK-DYJWX
- Windows 10: 3NF4D-GF9GY-63VKH-QRC3V-7QW8P
Are Windows generic product keys legal?
Yes, there is nothing wrong with using a generic product key to install Windows on your computer. However, doing so comes with some important limitations.
Notably, a public key does not grant any usage rights. Instead, it is only designed to help you install Windows. In 30 to 90 days (depending on the key), your public key will expire, and you’ll need to add a full retail key.
In theory, Microsoft would never allow you to activate Windows with a public key. If you try to activate Windows using a generic product key, you will see the following message on the screen:
We can’t activate Windows on this device because you don’t have a valid digital license or product key. If you think you have a valid license or key, see the troubleshooting below. (0x803f7001)
Even if you somehow manage to bypass Microsoft’s controls (and yes, there are ways to do this), you will still be in violation of the EULA and may be liable for prosecution.
Why are generic product keys used in Windows 10?
It’s probably best to think of generic product keys the same way you might think of an app’s free trial. Yes, you get access to all the features and you can put the app to its full potential, but you know you’ll need to spend some money at some point to retain access.
Public Product Keys are ideal for anyone who builds systems or who wants to run Windows in a virtual environment.
How to upgrade a generic product key
If you used a generic product key to install Windows, you can easily replace it with a full retail version and thus get a legal copy of Windows without having to delete and reinstall your operating system.
note: Before following these steps, you first need to purchase a retail version of a Windows product key. You can buy it directly from the online Microsoft Store. Some third-party sellers may also have legitimate keys available at a cheaper rate, but we can’t guarantee that it will work.
When you’re ready, open the Settings app and go to
التحديث والأمان -> التنشيط> ترقية إصدار Windows -> تغيير مفتاح المنتج.
A new box will appear on the screen, and you will be asked to enter the retail key you just purchased.
If your key is legal, the activation process will begin. The process could take anything from a few seconds to several hours, depending on how busy Microsoft servers are.