The Chromecast is a handy device for your television. Streaming content to TV has never been easier, and works through a variety of apps. If you’re not sure where to start with the Chromecast, read this article for all the ins and outs!
Streaming to your TV with a Chromecast? Streaming to TV is actually very easy with a Chromecast, where it is important that you are connected to the same WiFi network as the Chromecast. Then press the cast icon and you can choose your Chromecast. Then streaming to TV will start automatically.
When we talk about the Chromecast, we are talking about the dongle for your television. You connect it to an empty HDMI port on your television and put the (USB) plug in the socket. After installing you can choose different types of content cast to the TV, via the WiFi connection.
For example: do you have a nice holiday video on your smartphone that you want to share with a group of people in the living room? Then you can send that video to your TV (which the Chromecast hangs on), which then plays it. The same goes for music and pictures, including from your PC.
Also read: Which Chromecast should I choose?
Streaming to TV: What Do You Need?
Streaming to TV is therefore an ideal option in many cases. It is not only your holiday material that can be transferred in this way. Many apps also offer the Chromecast option. This way you can quickly make a video of YouTube or Netflix display on the screen, so you’re not stuck with that tiny smartphone screen.
But what exactly do you need to make this happen? Of course you need a wireless router at home with a WiFi signal. You have to connect different devices to the WiFi network, such as the Chromecast and a source device (where the content comes from).
If you use a smartphone or tablet, you will in any case need applications that require Chromecast or Google Cast. Google Cast is the name of the platform that the Chromecast uses. Both terms are used for casting to TV and are interchangeable.
Stream from a mobile device
When you stream from a mobile device, you need specific apps. On the Google website you will find a number of apps that support Google Cast. You will find all kinds of well-known services here, such as Netflix, NPO, Plex, Spotify, YouTube, Chrome and game streaming service Stadia.
Streaming to TV from your mobile is very simple. You proceed as follows.
- Make sure that the app in question supports Google Cast.
- Make sure the Chromecast is working and on the same network as the source device.
- Turn on the TV and switch to the correct HDMI channel (which connects to the port the Chromecast is connected to).
- The Chromecast will then turn on automatically (otherwise it will be on from the moment you activate your television).
- Grab your mobile and open the app you want to use.
- Is it a video application, such as Netflix or YouTube? Then you will find a cast icon: it resembles a TV screen with three WiFi stripes.
- Is it a music streaming service? Then there is often an option for playback within your local network. Otherwise there is just a cast icon.
- Tap on that icon.
- Select the installed Chromecast.
- Wait for the Chromecast to load the content and start watching or listening.
Stream from your PC or the Internet
In addition, it is possible to cast it to TV from a computer or the Internet. On your computer you may have local files that can be sent to the TV (the same applies to content that you may have on a NAS or an external hard drive).
When you stream from your PC, in many cases you mirror the screen you are currently using. That works as follows.
- Plug the Google Chromecast into an empty HDMI port on your television.
- Make sure the Chromecast and the computer (or laptop) are on the same network. Only then can they find and see each other, after which they can communicate.
- If not, you’ll need to reset it or install it properly.
- Now open the Google Chrome browser on your computer.
- Click on the three dots in the top right for the menu.
- Now click on the Cast option…
- Select the Chromecast from the list and wait for the content to load.
To learn more about streaming to TV from a computer, read this article.
List of supported apps
The Google Cast platform can count on broad support from app makers. Below is a selection from the list of apps that all support Google Chromecast.
- Amazon Prime Video
- Google Play Movies
- VRT Now
- pokemon tv
- TuneIn Radio
- Apple Music
- Pocket Casts
Photos and videos
- Google Photos
- Google Chrome
- Google Stadia
- Just Dance Now
- Tricky Titans
- Bomberman for Chromecast
Finally, on Chrome fans, we pay a lot of attention to the Chromecast in general. For example, we explain which Chromecast you can buy best, we explain what casting exactly is and you will find an overview containing everything related to the Chromecast.