Windows servers are not spared from WannaCry ransomware. If it is recommended to protect the servers with an antivirus and a firewall (software or hardware), it will be necessary to install the latest Windows Updates or apply a patch specially manufactured by Microsoft.
WannaCry and Windows Server 2016
Like Windows 10, Windows Server 2016 is not directly impacted by WCry because the security flaw does not exist on this version of the operating system. But it is advised to download the most recent updates to guard against other threats.
1. Open the start menu, Settings (cogwheel icon).
2. Icon “ Update and security”
3. Choose ” Windows Update in the left menu and check if there are any pending updates.
WannaCry and Windows Server 2012 R2
Windows Server 2012 R2 is susceptible to WCry ransomware. To prevent this situation, download this hotfix to apply updates from Windows Update.
- Qualitative Security Only Update for Windows Server 2012 R2 (KB4012213) – March 2017
WannaCry and Windows Server 2012
Patch KB 4012214 protects WS2012 against WannaCry virus but it is recommended to install all pending important updates.
- Qualitative Security Only Update for Windows Server 2012 (KB4012214) – March 2017
WannaCry and Windows Server 2008 R2
The most common version of Windows Server, namely 2008 R2, should also be protected against ransomware. It will already have SP1 on this OS. Again, monthly rollups are preferred, to be found on Windows Update.
- March, 2017 Security Only Quality Update for Windows Server 2008 R2 for x64-based Systems (KB4012212)
WannaCry and Windows Server 2008
Windows Server 2008 is also threatened and here is the patch to install on WS2008 SP2, Standard, Enterprise or Datacenter edition.
- Security Update for Windows Server 2008 for x64-based computers (KB4012598)
WannaCry and Windows Server 2003/R2
As old as Windows XP and no longer maintained, Microsoft is sharing a special patch for Windows Server 2003, KB4012598.
- 1 WannaCry and Windows Server 2016
- 2 WannaCry and Windows Server 2012 R2
- 3 WannaCry and Windows Server 2012
- 4 WannaCry and Windows Server 2008 R2
- 5 WannaCry and Windows Server 2008
- 6 WannaCry and Windows Server 2003/R2