Microsoft Office Outlook email software stores all communications in a PST file. It may happen that this file is corrupted or damaged and that Outlook asks to be repaired. This tutorial explains how use Microsoft scanpst tool to repair PST file. The real name of “scanpst” is “Inbox Repairer”. This guide shows Windows XP and Office 2007 but the procedure is identical on Windows 7, 8, 10 and Office Outlook of another version (2010, 2013).
Repair Damaged Microsoft Outlook PST File
1. Close the Outlook software.
2. Open a File Explorer and go to the Outlook installation folder, usually C:Program Files (x86)Microsoft Office (64bit computer) or C:Program FilesMicrosoft Office (32bit PC). Note that a 64-bit Office pack is installed by default in C:Program FilesMicrosoft Office.
3. Open the Office installation folder:
- OFFICE12 for Office 2007
- OFFICE14 for Office 2010
- OFFICE15 for Office 2013
4. Find or open the file SCANPST.EXE.
5. Upload PST File corrupted and click To start up.
6. Verification takes a few minutes.
7. If scanpst finds any errors, the tool offers to create a backup of the PST file before repairing it (.BAK extension). Leave the line ” Create a backup of the scanned file before repair » and click on To fix to start the procedure.
8. A message warns that the PST file has been successfully repaired.
9. Open Outlook to verify that the error no longer appears.
10. After verification, delete the .BAK backup of the PST file which can occupy a significant amount of space on the hard disk.