A free alternative to traditional messaging software, Mozilla Thunderbird is for emails what Firefox is for Internet browsing. Much closer to Windows Live Mail that of MailThunderbird is a complete software to manage your e-mails, contacts, calendar, etc.
This tutorial explains how download, install and configure an email account in Mozilla Thunderbird.
With Windows Live Mail no longer working since the 2004 Windows 10 Update, Thunderbird remains an attractive free alternative to the Mail app in Microsoft’s latest operating system.
Install Mozilla Thunderbird mail software
1. Go to the Mozilla Thunderbird official site.
2. Click on the green button “ Free download to download Thunderbird.
3. Open the downloaded file.
4. Leave the default options: ” standard » .
5. Open the program. If Thunderbird will be the only messaging software on the computer, validate ” Define by default ” for ” e-mail ” as proposed.
Set up a Mozilla Thunderbird account
1. The first start of Thunderbird offers to create an account with Gandi. This is not what we want, this tutorial explains how to add an e-mail account that we already have (Hotmail, Outlook, Gmail, Yahoo, Orange, SFR, Numericable, Bbox, etc).
Click on ” Skip this step and use my existing address » .
2. Indicate the following information:
- Full Name : the name displayed when your correspondents receive an email
- email address : email-address
- Password : the password associated with this email address
Click on Continue to automatically search for the email configuration.
3. If the mail account is a provider known to Thunderbird, the configuration will be automatic, for example below with an Outlook / Hotmail account.
Otherwise, follow the IMAP/POP/SMTP information from this tutorial for Windows Live Mail or consult this list of email account providers. If not, just ask by creating a new topic on the forum !