Cortana is known to be the personal assistant developed by Microsoft and incorporated into Windows 10. Its role is to send suggestions and reminders to its users based on personal data collected by Microsoft. But, while it is highly appreciated by some users, others, especially Windows 10 business users, find it quite intrusive. It is therefore urgent to provide you with tips to deactivate Cortana in case you have deemed it too disturbing. It is in this logic that this article fits.
What is Cortana?
As we just recalled in our introduction, Cortana can be understood as the voice assistant that Microsoft has developed to interact with Windows users. If formerly it was born with Windows Phone 8, it must be said that today it has been incorporated into Windows 10. Its principle is very simple. Indeed, the user interface of this product offers users the possibility of addressing questions to Microsoft in natural language. You can then interact with your computer via voice command to do many things. It can be considered as a Microsoft marketing policy that may allow you to have certain information from the taskbar via a voice cookie.
What can you do with Cortana in Microsoft Windows 10?
Microsoft continues to improve its services daily with major new features. And one of these novelties is undoubtedly Cortana. Nowadays, it has already exceeded the limits of a simple automatic search engine. It can make it easier for you to perform many tasks:
- you can for example ask him to provide you with information on the weather in case of travel or not
- it can remind you of your activity schedules and appointments
- it can also help you launch applications or send e-mails by natural voice
- you can also use it to configure the individual voice assistant on all your terminals (computer, tablet, smartphone, etc.)
- it is also possible to do research on the Web or even on PC according to your centers of interest
- this digital assistant is important to find certain files and change settings faster
However, the wizard may not interest you! In this case, we advise you to learn with us how to deactivate Cortana following the procedure below.
How to disable Cortana on Windows 10?
If the soft method allows you to prevent Cortana from interacting with you, well, the advanced method allows you to disable it entirely. The latter consists of going through the registry editor through the following steps:
- right-click on the taskbar (taskbar) to enter it and type “regedit”
- then proceed to launch the “Registry Editor” utility
- copy and paste the following path at the registry editor’s own navigation field (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREPoliciesMicrosoftWindows)
- now click on the Windows folder to select the New >key again
- enter Windows Search to give a name to the newly created key
- then click in the right window to choose New > 32-Bit DWORD Value
- then comes the precise moment to enter AllowCortana necessary to assign a name to the value just created
- right-clicking on AllowCortana should now be enough to access the “Edit” menu
- to finish, enter 0 in the data bar and validate with “OK”
This closes the Registry Editor and disables Cortana.