Fortunately, Google Chrome has many customization options, including the possibility of changing the default language and even modifying and installing extensions. In any case, the matter tends to get complicated in relation to the automatic updates of Chrome, since there is no direct option to deactivate them, but there are several ways you can do it.
- 1 What happens if you disable automatic updates for Google Chrome in Windows 11?
- 2 How to rename Chrome update folder in Windows 11?
- 3 What to do to disable the automatic updates service of Google Chrome?
- 4 How to disable automatic updates from Windows 11 system settings?
What happens if you disable automatic updates for Google Chrome in Windows 11?
Without a doubt, updating the Google Chrome browser from the cell phone or from the computer is highly recommended to maintain stability when browsing the internet. Understanding the above, before disabling automatic updates, it is very important that you know what they are the repercussions of making this decision.
Missing out on new features
With each new update, in addition to changes related to the performance of the browser, new functions are integrated. These new features seek to improve the user experience and they range from cosmetic changes to practical improvements. Therefore, if you disable automatic updates, you could miss the new browser functions.
You become vulnerable to security problems
While the internet is a space full of positive and interesting things, it clearly has a negative side. Among the negative things in this world are viruses and people / programs whose purpose is to steal information. Disabling automatic updates can be counterproductive as it usually these updates fix security problems.
How to rename Chrome update folder in Windows 11?
While Google Chrome has many customization options, updates are a different case. In fact, natively Google Chrome does not allow changing the folder from updates and other similar options cannot be modified by the user
As we pointed out, really the updates folder cannot be changed from Google Chrome. In any case, it is possible to disable the automatic download of updates as we show you through the information processed. In turn, other actions are possible, such as changing the Google Chrome downloads folder.
On the other hand, if what you are wondering is where the Google Chrome browser files are located, it all depends on the configuration of your computer. In any case, the application is usually located inside the Google folder in the Program Files of your computer. It is also in this space that the new versions of the browser are downloaded and installed.
What to do to disable the automatic updates service of Google Chrome?
Undoubtedly opening the ‘Services’ in Windows 10 is one of the most prominent forms of customization that our system has. You should know that it is an advanced option, so the matter could be complicated for the most novice users. In any case, the process is very simple if you follow the steps that we show you below.
- Go to the Start Menu and look for ‘Services’
- Once the tool is open, you will have to look for all the services related to Google Update.
- Right click on the services and then select ‘Properties’.
- There the different options will be displayed, you should go to ‘Startup type’ and there select ‘Disabled’.
- After making the previous change, you must click on ‘OK’ and then simply restart the computer.
How to disable automatic updates from Windows 11 system settings?
Google itself presents several options to check the version of Google Chrome that you have installed. In any case, nothing is said about disabling automatic updates, but as we have pointed out, it is possible to do it in a number of ways. In fact, one of the easiest ways to disable automatic updates, is through system settings.
- First of all, open the ‘Run’ tool, to do this press the Windows key + R at the same time.
- Once you open run, type ‘msconfig’ and click on ‘OK’.
- After the above process it will open ‘System configuration’, you must click on ‘Services’.
- Once in the Services tab, we recommend activating the option ‘Hide all Microsoft services’
- Disable all services related to Google and click on ‘OK’.
- If the system asks you to restart, restart the computer for the data to take effect.