When you update your Windows operating system, your old operating system files remain on disk and are stored in your old Windows folder. These files are saved where they will be asked to roll back to a previous version of Windows, if and when necessary. So, you must consider that I have to delete the Windows setup files, but these files are important when some errors occur during the installation of Windows. When something goes wrong during the installation of Windows, these files will prove useful in restoring it to the previous version. In addition, if you are not satisfied with the newly updated version of Windows, you can roll back the operating system to the previous version. If the update is running smoothly and you don’t want to roll back, you can delete Win setup files from your device as explained in this article.
How to delete Win setup files in Windows 10
Should I delete the Windows setup files?
Win Setup Files can be useful but these files accumulate and take up a lot of disk space. As a result, many users are wondering: Should Windows setup files be deleted? The answer is yes. There is no harm in deleting Win. However, you cannot delete these files and folders as you normally would. Instead, you will need to use third-party tools or use the methods described below.
Deleting Windows files is often intimidating. If a necessary file is deleted from its original directory, your system may crash. It’s safe to delete the following files from your Windows PC when you don’t need them anymore:
- Windows setup files
- Windows. old
On the other hand, you should be more careful, and do not delete the following files:
- Files in AppData
- And Files in Program Files
- Files in ProgramData
Note: Before deleting files from the folder, make a backup copy of the files that you may want to use later such as the operating system files that are required to go back to previous versions.
Method 1: Use Disk Cleanup
Disk cleanup is similar to the Recycle Bin. Data deleted by Disk Cleanup is not permanently deleted from the system and remains available on your hard drive. You can restore these installation files, when needed. Follow the steps mentioned below to delete Win setup files using Disk Cleanup.
1. In the bar Windows search , write Disk Cleanup and click Run as administrator , As shown below.
2. In the Select the drive you want to clean section, choose your drive (eg C: drive) , Click “OK” to follow.
3. You will Disk Cleanup Tool Now it searches for files and calculates the amount of space that can be cleared.
4. The relevant boxes are automatically checked in the Disk Cleanup window. Just click onOK.
Note: You can also check the boxes marked “Recycle Bin” to free up more space.
5. Next, switch to the tab “More optionsand click the buttoncleaningwithin “system recovery” And “Shadow Copy” , As shown.
6. Click “deleteIn the confirmation message to delete all old Win Setup files except for the last system restore point.
7. Wait for the Disk Cleanup utility to finish the process and restart your computer.
Now, all the files in C:Windows.old will be deleted from your Windows 10 laptop/desktop.
Note: Windows automatically removes these files every ten days, even if they are not deleted manually.
Method 2: Using Storage Settings
When you don’t want to delete Win setup files using Method 1, you can do so through Windows Settings, as follows:
1 in bar Windows search , write Storage settings and click to open.
2. Click order and reserved in a Storage settings , As shown.
3. Here, click the . button System Restore Management In the System and Reserved screen.
4. Select System Protection > Configure As shown below, then in System Protection Settings, click Delete as shown below.
Note: All restore points of the selected drive will be deleted. Here, drive C, as shown.
5. Wait for the process to complete and all Win setup files except for the last restore point will be deleted. This way, you can be sure that you will be able to restore your system, if and when necessary.
Method 3: Use Command Prompt
if you want Delete Win . Setup Files On Windows 10 using Command Prompt, follow the steps listed below to do so:
1. In the search bar Windows , write cmd and click Run as administrator.
2 a. Here, type the following command and hit Enter:
RD /S /Q %SystemDrive%windows.old
2 b. Type the given commands one by one and press enter after each command:
cd C: attrib -r -a -s -h C:Windows.old /S /D takeown /f Windows.old /a /r rd /s /q Windows.old
Wait for the commands to be executed. You have now successfully deleted Win setup files from your system using Command Prompt.
Method 4: Use CCleaner
If you don’t get a fix by any of the above methods, you can try deleting Win setup files using third party tools like CC Cleaner. This tool can help you clean up your device within a few minutes, including clearing your browsing history and cache and freeing up your disk space as much as possible.
Note: It is recommended that you run an antivirus scan before using this tool.
Follow the given steps to do this:
1. Press my key Windows + I together to open Settings.
2. Here, click Update and security , As shown.
3. Now, click on Windows Security in the right pane.
4. Next, select the Virus & threat protection option under the Protection areas section.
5 a. All threats will be listed here. Click Start Actions under Existing threats to take action against the threats.
5 b. If you do not have any threats in your system, the system will display an alert No actions required, as shown below.
Windows Defender will remove all virus and malware software once the scanning process is complete.
Now, after the virus scan, you can run CCleaner to clean up the disk space by scanning the Win setup files from your Windows 10 computer, as follows:
1. Open the CCleaner download page in any web browser.
2. Scroll down to the Free option and click on Download, as shown below.
3. After downloading, open the setup file and install CCleaner by following the on-screen instructions.
4. Now, open the program and click Run CCleaner, as shown below.
5. Then click on Custom Clean from the left pane and go to the Windows tab.
Note: For Windows, CCleaner will delete Windows files by default. Whereas, for apps, CCleaner will delete the ones you installed manually.
6. Under System, check the files and folders which contain Win setup files and other files that you wish to delete.
7. Finally, tap Run Cleaner , As shown below.
8. Click “ContinueTo confirm and wait for the cleaning process to complete.
How to restore the operating system of a Windows computer
If you are not satisfied with the newly updated version of Windows and want to go back to the previous version, follow the steps mentioned below to do so:
1. Go to Settings > Update & Security As mentioned in the fourth method.
2. Select an option recovery From the left pane and click Get started in the right pane.
3. Now, select an option from Reset PC window This is amazing:
- The Keep my files option will remove apps and settings but keep your files.
- The Remove everything option will remove all of your files, apps, and settings.
4. Finally, follow the onscreen instructions to complete the reset process.
We hope you will get an answer to your query if you deleted Windows setup files and managed to delete Win setup files on your Windows 10 PC. Tell us the easiest way for you. Also, if you have any queries or suggestions regarding this article, feel free to leave them in the comments section.