Essential today, software solutions from the publisher Veeam are acclaimed for everything related to the backup of virtual environments. Under a paid subscription license with support and update, the Veeam Backup & Replication suite is also available in a version open for the community. As other publishers provide users with a lighter but free version of their tools, Veeam Backup & Replication Community Edition is thus free to use, to update and the level of features offered will suit most VSEs, liberal and small organizations and associations.
If your IT park is made up of a virtualization server, there is obviously an essential building block to information security: backup. You can tinker with third-party scripts and tools or choose a complete and reliable solution to back up your virtual machines.
Veeam Backup & Replication Community Edition is a complete and free software for backing up virtual and physical machines as well as workstations. VMware or Microsoft Hyper-V virtual environment, Windows and Linux operating systems. Within the limit of 10 machines to save. Beyond that, it will be necessary to switch to a paid version of Veeam B&R.
- 1 Features of Veeam Backup & Replication Community Edition
- 2 Systems compatible with Veeam Backup & Replication Community Edition
- 3 Download and install Veeam B&R CE
- 4 System requirements for Veeam Backup & Replication
Features of Veeam Backup & Replication Community Edition
Veeam Backup & Replication CE can:
- back up and restore virtual and physical machines
- automate tasks (schedule backups)
- storage on file server or NAS
Note that the backup from storage array snapshots is not supported on Veeam B&R CE but we can consider that a VMware vSphere cluster with several hosts and a SAN run more than 10 VMs and that it will be necessary to anyway switch to a paid license from Veeam.
Likewise, backing up to the Amazon AWS and Microsoft Azure cloud is not supported in this free version of Veeam Backup.
Systems compatible with Veeam Backup & Replication Community Edition
- Hypervisors: VMware vSphere, Microsoft Hyper-V and Nutanix Acropolis (AHV)
- Workstation: Microsoft Windows, Linux and MacOS
Download and install Veeam B&R CE
Veeam official website to download the latest version of Backup and Replication Community Edition.
System requirements for Veeam Backup & Replication
- VMware vSphere 5.5, 6.x and 7.0
- Hyper-V 2008 R2 SP1, 2012 / R2, 2016, 2019
- Nutanix 5.5.x to 5.19.x
- Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, 2012 / R2, 2016, 2019, Windows 7 SP1, 8.1, 10
- macOS 10.13, 10.14, 10.15 and 11.0
- Linux: Kernel 2.6.32 and above