If we are not used to seeing free programs at Microsoft, we can welcome the free antivirus software offered for Windows operating systems. Released in September 2009, Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) is a free antivirus protection software that was then available on Windows XP, Vista and 7. Since then, Windows 7 is the only survivor since it is the only version still maintained by Microsoft. On Windows 8, 8.1, and 10, Security Essentials is replaced by Windows Defender, the new name for Microsoft’s free antivirus.
Microsoft Security Essentials is a free antivirus program to protect a Windows 7 computer. This anti-virus is therefore not chargeable, it works in french and it is not necessary to renew it every year (like Avast, for example). So no need to pay for an antivirus Kaspersky, Norton, BitDefender or McAfee since Microsoft generously offers a good tool to neutralize and eliminate viruses and other malware.
You should not have multiple antivirus software on the same machine. To install MSE, you must first uninstall the old virus protection program and then install the Microsoft software.
Download Microsoft Security Essentials, free antivirus for Windows 7
Click on one of the following choices, depending on the architecture of Windows 7 in 64 bits or in 32 bits (the 64-bit system is the most common).
Download “Free Antivirus for Windows 7 (64-bit): Microsoft Security Essentials” AntivirusMSE-64bits.exe – Downloaded 41911 times – 14 MB
Download “Free Antivirus for Windows 7 (32-bit): Microsoft Security Essentials” AntivirusMSE-32bits.exe – Downloaded 59167 times – 12 MB
Install the free Microsoft Security Essentials antivirus
1. With a double click, open downloaded file (AntivirusMSE-64bits.exe or AntivirusMSE-32bits.exe).
2. Accept User Account Control with ” Yes “:
3. Click on Following and I accept.
4. Click on ” I do not wish to participate in the program at this time ” then Following.
5. On the Optimize security screen, leave checked “If no firewall is activated, activate Windows Firewall (recommended)” to ensure that the computer is well protected. Just go to Following.
6. A final confirmation: click on To install.
7. After installation, leave it “Scan my computer immediately after obtaining the latest updates” by clicking on To end.
8. Thus, the antivirus update will be done immediately and a quick hard drive scan will be done immediately.
9. When the operation is complete, the anti-virus software will indicate that everything is good and the PC is protected.
10. In use, Microsoft’s free antivirus is easy to manage. It warns by a notification on the screen if it blocks a threat and it will be enough to follow its recommendations to clean the computer. It is accessed by the green icon at the bottom right of the screen, near the time, an icon that turns orange or red depending on the threats analyzed on the PC.
Note: in the case of a PC which is not connected to the internet or which uses a very slow connection, you can download the Antivirus Update Pack for Microsoft Security Essentials in advance.