Companies that use Dropbox Business, in its Standard, Advanced or Enterprise editions, must manage files with the web administration interface offered by Dropbox. In the case of the departure of a colleague or his replacement by a new employee, it will be necessary to delete the account of the old user in order to assign a license to the newcomer. So we go transfer rights from a Dropbox account to another user of cloud storage service.
For example: Aline leaves the company and Brice will succeed her in the same position. We are going to transfer Aline’s account and documents to Brice’s, who will thus recover all the documents and sharing permissions that Aline had.
Another example: Aline resigns but her post will not be replaced. We are therefore going to assign all of his Dropbox files to his boss, Carlos, so that he can access the working documents Aline was using.
To carry out this transfer between several accounts, it is necessary to have a Dropbox Business contract since personal accounts do not manage several users.
Deactivate a Dropbox Business user account
1. Log in to the Dropbox Business administration interface: https://www.dropbox.com/team/admin
2. Open the list of Members.
3. Locate user to delete, click on the cogwheel and on ” Remove member “:
4. An account summary is displayed. A note might indicate that the person had merged their personal Dropbox account and their work account. We also see the amount of space used by this member and the date since which he has been using Dropbox.
At the question ” Would you like to transfer the contents of this member’s files to another team member? ” : to respond ” Transfer now “If the new user has already been created, or” Forward later »In case you want to recover a license first before creating a new account. In our example, we choose the second option because the first is very easy to follow.
5. To the question ” Do you want to delete this member’s device content the next time you log in? ” : to respond ” Yes »To erase all the content of the professional Dropbox on the devices which were connected to the box (this can be the professional computer but also his smartphone, a tablet, a personal PC). It is therefore a matter of security to delete the content of the devices linked to this old user account.
6. Click on To continue.
7. A confirmation indicates that the user account will be deleted but that the content will be accessible by the company (that is, the Dropbox administrator).
8. Click on ” Delete account To confirm the operation.
Transfer Dropbox files to another user account
1. We now have an unassigned license that we will allocate to the new employee. Click the “Invite Members” button and send an invitation for the person to join the Dropbox Business group.
2. Once the account is created and activated, we will transfer the old user’s files to it. In the list of Members from the administration console, use the right menu to access the Member type ” Deleted “:
3. Click on the cogwheel of the old user and choose ” Manage files “:
4. What do you want to do with the old user’s files? ” Transfer them to another team member »By specifying his name or his e-mail address.
5. The transfer starts instantly and the Dropbox of the new account is enriched with the old files (imported into an “Aline’s files” folder) and the shared folders are copied from the old user.
However, it will be necessary to add the new account to the member groups because only the files are transferred, not the access to the group shares.