Windows 8.1 Preview, the unfinished Windows 8 update has been available for trial since yesterday’s Microsoft conference. By “not finalized” it should be understood that it is not yet recommended to apply the update on all computers. It is mainly a test version for those who wish to try the upgrade and report the various bugs encountered.
This preview applies to Windows 8, 8 Pro and 8 RT tablets.
Warning therefore, this is a probably unstable “beta”, so do not install Windows 8.1 Preview on a computer you intend to use without risking having to reinstall and possibly losing your personal documents. You can use a virtual machine for your testing.
Also be careful because installing the Preview will not keep the software when switching to the final version of Windows 8.1. This bridle may be able to jump by then but be careful.
Duration of the operation: about 1 hour (depends on the connection speed and the power of the computer).
Downloading a Windows 8.1 Preview ISO Image
1. Go to the site http://windows.microsoft.com/fr-fr/windows-8/preview-iso and identify yourself with your Microsoft account.
2. Scroll down the page and download the file 64-bit French (x64) Where 32-bit French (x86) depending on your computer.
3. Burn ISO file to DVD Where copy the image to USB stick for installation.
4. Follow the procedure of this tutorial.
5. Note the product key (license) given by Microsoft for this trial version: NTTX3-RV7VB-T7X7F-WQYYY-9Y92F.
Download and install Windows 8.1 Preview as an update to Windows 8
1. From your computer Windows 8 and Internet Explorer, go to the site http://windows.microsoft.com/fr-fr/windows-8/download-preview and click on ” Get the update To start the download.
2. The browser downloads the program Windows8-RT-KB2849636x86.msu Where Windows8-RT-KB2849636x64.msu according to your architecture, choose To open.
3. A window asks if you agree to install the update: choose Yes.
4. The first part of the installation is finished, you must to restart the computer.
5. This preparation being completed, it is now necessary to download Windows 8.1 Preview from the Windows Store.
6. A file opens in Windows Store, simply click on the button To download.
7. While “Installation is in progress”, you can continue to use the computer. Approximately 2GB are to be downloaded, so you will have to wait before installing the upgrade.
8. After downloading and installing, a message will ask you to restart the computer.
9. On restart: surprise! A new logo appears with this colorful fish. The setup takes some time.
10. Accept the “License Terms” and request the ” Quick account setup “. Another preparation step may take a few minutes.
11. The home screen appears in a new light with this fish in the background but the applications are still present without apparent modification.
This step of downloading and installing Windows 8.1 Preview is complete, another article is being written to present the new features of this update.