For a slightly weak hardware configuration and to try to improve the performance of the computer running Windows Vista, 7 or 8, it is possible to disable the Windows Search indexing service. This function is nice to find in a few seconds the result of a search on the hard disk but it also consumes resources to index the files of your computer.
Disable Windows Search and File Indexing
Note: it is better not to deactivate this function if you do not know what it is for and your computer is performing well.
1. From the Windows home screen, type “ services »And select Settings. In the results on the left, open Show local services.
2. Locate ” Windows Search Which should be at the bottom of the list.
3. Double click on the Windows Search line and modify the Start type by choosing Deactivated.
4. Click on Stop and to validate when requested to stop other services. Click on okay to close the window.
5. Close windows and stay on the desktop. Open File Explorer by this icon (or by the key combination Windows + E).
6. In the left part, click on Computer.
7. Make a right click on your hard drive (This Properties. The manipulation will then have to be redone on your other disks and partitions.
8. Uncheck line ” Allow indexing of the contents of files on this drive in addition to file properties »Then click on the button Apply.
9. Choose ” Apply changes to C: drive, subfolders and files »And validate by okay.
10. Validate the user rights step by To continue.
11. Choose ” Ignore all If the message appears. Some files will not be able to be deindexed, very few compared to the tens of thousands on the hard drive.
12. The operation may take a few minutes.
When finished, start over from step 7 if you have multiple hard drives or partitions.
13. Restart the computer to validate these modifications.
File searches may now take longer than before, but machine performance will not be degraded by this indexing feature.
Re-activate Windows Search
If you want to restart the Windows Search function, go back to Services, choose the Startup type ” Automatic (delayed start) »And validate by Apply (without doing OK). Then click on the button To start up to start Windows Search immediately without having to restart the machine.
Then go to the properties of the hard drive to check line ” Allow indexing of the contents of files on this drive in addition to file properties »Before validating.