Renowned computer manufacturer, the American company Dell offers different ranges of machines for professionals and individuals. If reliability is a common denominator, Dell does not forget that a hardware failure can happen quickly and that it is necessary to facilitate the life of the assistance support to quickly solve the problem. That’s why all Dell PCs come with firmware that allows hardware diagnostics to be performed in minutes. A maintenance operation that does not require special skills. The user manual is easy to follow, only a few steps to have a health status of the PC and to know which defective part will have to be repaired or replaced. It’s also a good way to make sure everything is okay if you want to buy a used Dell computer.
This tutorial explains how run a hardware test of a Dell Latitude computer but the procedure can be the same with an Inspiron, Vostro, XPS, G3, Optiplex, Alienware. It is therefore the same operation on a fixed PC or laptop. The version of the operating system is not important because the manipulation is carried out from the Bios. So it doesn’t matter if you have Windows, Ubuntu or another distro linuxor even no OS at all (after a change of hard disk, for example).
Run a hardware test on Dell Latitude
1. Shut down the computer (shut down Windows or Ubuntu).
2. Press the Power button to start the dell pc.
3. When the DELL logo appears large on the screen (white logo on a black background), press repeatedly on the key F12 of the keyboard. A small yellow message “Preparing one-time boot menu” may appear at the top right of the screen to indicate that this action has been taken into account.
4. Arrived on the Boot mode menu of the computer, go down with the arrows of the keyboard until ” Diagnoses » in the group « Other options » and validate by Entrance.
5. Immediately, the DELL ePSA Pre-boot System Assessment (or other name) program launches and starts scanning all hardware:
- Cables: power supply
- Notebook Panel: control panel (keys)
- Hard Drive: hard drive or solid-state drive
- OS Boot Path: Operating system boot location
- USB Devices: USB devices
- Integrated Webcam HD: integrated webcam
- Video Card: graphics card
- Primary Battery: main battery
- Processor Fan: processor fan
- Processor: computer processor
- System Management: system management
- Memory: random access memory (RAM)