If the Strava mobile application now makes it possible to manage the wear of sports shoes (running, trail, hiking, walking), the cycling part does not take into account consumables and parts replacements. This gap is filled on the web version of Strava, accessible from a computer.
To keep a bike in good condition, anticipate overhauls and make changes to wear parts on time, this tutorial shows how to follow the evolution of the mileage of your bike and its components with Strava. Of course, each cycling activity will have to be sent or synchronized with Strava so that it takes into account the new distances traveled and adds them to the different components of the bike. This is very useful to know for how many km the chain has been changed (lifespan approximately 4000 km), its rear tire (5000 km), the derailleur (approximately 100,000 km on a road bike, whether it is of the type Shimano Ultegra / Dura Ace or SRAM Red / Force / Apex).
Use Strava to know the wear of cycling equipment
1. From a computer, open an internet browser and go to the site Strava.
2. At the top right of the screen, click on the account photo then on ” Settings “:
3. In the left menu, click on ” My material “:
4. Go down to the “My bikes” section and click on the “ Add a bike »To enter the information of the bike (s) you use:
5. Indicate the details of this bike:
- name (the name that we will see displayed in the list of bikes)
- Types : road bike, mountain bike, time trial, cyclo-cross or gravel bike
- Weight (if known)
- Remarks (date of purchase, color …)
Validate by ” Save the bike “:
Add the other bikes you own. You can also add an indoor or elliptical bike, as well as create a special home trainer bike if you put your road bike on a connected HT such as a Tacx, convenient for tracking rear tire wear after hours of Zwift.
The first column allows you to define which bike will be indicated by default after each new cycling activity on Strava. That is to say that after an activity recorded with Strava on the phone or synchronized from a watch or a computer, it is this bike which will be the one which will be indicated as having been used and which will receive the kilometers on its computer. virtual Strava.
6. Click on one of the bikes to see the details.
7. See the “Components” section and click on the “ Add component To indicate replaced and added parts.
8. Indicate the details of this new component:
- Element type: chain, wheel, fork, handlebars, pedals, tire, crankset, brake, brake pads, brake lever, sprocket cassette, chainrings, brake disc, front or rear derailleur, saddle, stem, front suspension …
- Weight (kg)
- Added on (if date prior to today, Strava will be able to calculate its mileage thanks to the activities already recorded)
Click on ” Save »To add the component to the characteristics of the bike.
9. Add other components, parts and modifications to the bike to manage the wear of consumables and mechanical elements of the two-wheeler.
Tip: to know the total mileage of the bike since a certain date, add or verify that the component ” Framework “Or in the list of components, with the date” From the beginning “:
10. The longest is yet to come: to get the exact mileage for each bike and component, each Strava bike activity will need to be edited to indicate which bike was used. This operation will also be easier to perform on a computer rather than from the smartphone.