Catastrophe, you can no longer receive emails through your Gmail or Google Apps / G Suite mailbox? No error message on Microsoft Outlook, Thunderbird or on the phone (iPhone, Android)? The emails leave your application but you no longer receive anything? Do not panic, it is surely a problem of disk space which is full. On free accounts, Gmail offers 15GB of space. A G Suite subscription (ex Google for Works and Google Apps) is 30GB per user. We can of course buy additional storage to have a quota of 100GB or 1TB.
This tutorial explains how see if we exceed the quota offered by Gmail and how clean your Gmail inbox to delete large emails. A free and easy action to perform from a computer (Windows, Mac, Linux) and a web browser to go to the Google Mail site.
Know if we exceed the Gmail quota
1. Connect to https://mail.google.com/ or to the webmail of the G-Suite organization.
2. Go to the bottom of the message list to find information on the space currently used and the quota not to be exceeded.
3. In case of exceeding, no new mail can arrive in the Inbox. You will have to delete large emails or buy additional Google space.
Find large Gmail / Google Mail / G Suite / Google for Work messages
1. Connect to https://mail.google.com/ or the company’s webmail.
2. In the search bar, at the top, type the following command and validate:
3. This search will list all messages with attachments that exceed the size of 10MB.
4. Now all you have to do is select messages to delete and of click on the Recycle Bin icon, or use the button to “select all” with one click.
5. Of course, we can adapt the search to find all messages larger than 5MB, 20MB, 50MB:
has:attachment larger:5MB has:attachment larger:20MB has:attachment larger:50MB
6. All large messages are deleted but you must now empty the Recycle Bin to really recover this disk space: in the list of folders on the left, click on ” More ” at the bottom. Then click on Basket (Trash in English) or on the link: https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#trash
7. Towards the center of the screen, click on ” Empty the trash “:
8. Check the recovered disk space at the bottom of the page.