After a few days of use, you are not convinced by Windows 11? The computer slows down, you can no longer find where the programs are, some software no longer works correctly or you are disturbed by the new graphical interface, there are many reasons for wanting to go back to Windows 10 rather than keeping the 11. Also, if your computer has automatically switched to Windows 11 without having asked for your consent too much, you may prefer to go back to Windows 10 and no longer wish to upgrade to Windows 11.
This tutorial explains how revert to Windows 10 after updating to Windows 11, on desktop and laptop, as well as on compatible tablets. This rollback operation can be done quite simply, assisted by Microsoft tools. Technically, this is possible thanks to the “Windows.old” folder which is located at the root of the main hard drive. This so-called “downgrade” manipulation is not irreversible, it will still be possible to return to Windows 11 in the future.
Please note, this operation is only valid in the 10 days following the upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11. This is of course not possible if you have purchased a computer already equipped with Windows 11. You must have made the upgrade. to level W10 to W11 to be able to return to W10. The actual installation of W10 without upgrade involves a complete installation after formatting the main hard drive of the computer. This is the subject of other tutorials or do not hesitate to come and ask the question on the Easy Windows forum.
While this should not uninstall software or delete personal files, like any such important manipulation, it is recommended that you make a full backup of your documents, images and internet bookmarks before starting the process.
If the update to Windows 11 is free, the reverse operation is also free. Going back to Windows 10 costs nothing, there is no license to buy since the computer was already equipped with an activated license of Windows 10. This procedure is completely legal since it is offered by Microsoft in the options of its system. ‘exploitation.
Roll back to Windows 10 after updating to Windows 11
1. Open the start menu Windows 11 and go to Settings :
2. Stay on the “System” page and scroll down to click on “ Recovery »(Reset, advanced start, go back):
3. In the Recovery options, click on ” Go back »(If this version does not work, try switching back to Windows 10):
4. To give (or not) a reason to go back:
5. ” No thanks »: No need to look for updates since the migration was done a few days ago:
6. Click on ” Following »To confirm the operation:
7. Confirm with ” Following “After making sure you know the password that was used in Windows 10 (logically the same as on Windows 11):
8. Finally, click on ” Go back to Windows 10 »To start the operation:
9. The computer restarts with more or less working time depending on the performance of the computer.
10. The return to Windows 10 went smoothly. All software and personal files are normally still present.