If you’ve just moved from a Windows PC to a Mac, one of the biggest frustrations you might have with macOS is how it handles multiple windows. Sure, you can keep several open and move between them easily, but it’s different than working on two files side by side in split screen mode. The way the Mac implements split-screen mode seems almost half-baked. Finding that green dot and then long clicking on it to enable it is a lot of work. Fortunately, there are many third-party applications that can help you solve this problem.
Managing multiple windows on a Mac is a cumbersome task. Since they tend to interfere, your screen quickly fills up consuming valuable workspace. Unfortunately, the built-in window manager does not provide many features to solve this problem.
Mac Window Manager is a group of applications that allow you to organize and resize windows using built-in shortcuts, mouse clicks, and gestures. We are going to show you some of the best window management apps for Mac to keep your desktop organized in the best shape.
- 1 1. Magnet
- 2 2. BetterSnapTool
- 3 3. HazeOver
- 4 4. Amethyst
- 5 5. Mosaic
- 6 6. Moom
- 7 Which window management app for macOS should you choose?
- 8 Easily switch between apps and windows
Magnet is a simple application for organizing and managing windows by shrinking them to different positions on the screen. Windows can be minimized with drag and drop, keyboard shortcuts, and the application menu. This on-screen arrangement eliminates the need to switch between applications and provides more workspace efficiency.
To get started, drag your window to a specific position or use the customizable shortcuts to do the job. By dragging them to the edges of the screen, the open windows arrange themselves into horizontal or vertical halves. And when you pull it to a corner, it takes up a quarter of the screen.
What does magnet offer you?
- You can shrink four windows to each corner of the screen, and even restore them to their original position.
- Supports up to six external monitors with different orientations. With shortcuts, you can quickly move windows between screens.
- You can maximize the window without losing access to the menu bar and the Dock. This is useful when you want to access the app menu all the time.
- Magnet lets you choose specific apps to be ignored while you shrink windows. For example, applications built with the Electron framework do not work well, so they should be excluded.
Download: Magnet ($1.99)
BetterSnapTool is a fully-featured customizable window management app for Mac. The application allows you to instantly change the position and size of windows by dragging them to the top, left or right edge, as well as the four corners of the desktop.
To do this, open the application menu and select Change window position/size. Alternatively, assign a shortcut to shrink the windows in the position you want. While shrinking, the app will show you a preview of how the alignment will look on the screen. The options listed on the viewing locations are customizable, so you can disable the ones you’ll never use.
Unique Features of BetterSnapTool
- Provides unlimited window size and area change options. All you have to do is specify a specific window size and screen recognition area. Professionals who need windows in a predefined template will love this option.
- You can use Desktop Spaces and BetterSnapTool together. Just set the appropriate window edge delay in between to make it work.
- Set sizing options for window control buttons on right-click or middle-click with the mouse; Go to
التفضيلات -> المزيدto configure it as you wish.
- Move and resize inactive windows with modifier key. Go to
التفضيلات -> الإضافاتTo set the private key.
Download: BetterSnapTool ($2.99)
Having a lot of windows open can be distracting, especially when you’re trying to focus on a task. HazeOver will remove this distraction by highlighting the active window and dimming the windows in the background.
It allows you to configure the intensity and speed of the dimming to your liking. To get started, go to
التفضيلات -> عام Turn the wheel to adjust the opacity. Instead, set up hotkeys and a touchpad gesture to control intensity in 20 percent increments.
The most important features of HazeOver
- Configure the intensity of the effect from soft dim light to strong black that will surely reduce scattering.
- Choose whether you want to highlight only one window or all open windows of an application. You can even edit the darkened graphics through the tab Advanced Options.
- Adjust opacity across multiple screens. You can either highlight only the front windows or darken all windows on any screen.
Download: HazeOver ($1.99, free trial available)
As you probably know, windows can overlap each other. The tiled window management application organizes applications on the desktop into non-overlapping boxes. This is done by repositioning your apps side by side, in rows, or using similar means. This way, you can make use of your workspace to the maximum efficiency.
Amethyst is a tiled window management app that automatically positions your windows according to one of its preset layouts (described on Amithyst’s GitHub page). It allows you to move, focus or rotate them with the press of a hotkey
For example, in the long layout (
Alt + Shift + A), the main window is on the left side while plugins are stacked vertically on the right.
Key Features of Amethyst
- A large number of layouts: tall, wide, 3-column – center, column, full screen, and more that you can access with the included hotkeys. The layout determines how to place the windows depending on your needs.
- Each layout allows you to adjust the window size (
Alt + Shift + L), and move between windows (
Alt + Shift + J), change window position, and more.
- Since it has many shortcuts, you can customize your Mac keyboard to set up a mod key that will help smooth the learning curve with Amethyst.
Download: Amethyst (Free)
In everyday tasks, you may prefer to set up the order of specific windows for each scenario. But when you use too many applications, maintaining a consistent set of windows on your desktop becomes difficult. This is where Mosaic window management app for Mac can help you.
Not only does it place your windows, but it also helps to categorize them so that they are always close at hand. First of all, drag and drop the application window across the top over any of the scaling options. Alternatively, you can press the hotkey to present the layout picker for any active application, if you prefer.
tab let you Layouts Full control over all possible and available layouts. Simply use the configurable grid to select screen regions and set up the shortcut. You can even organize your layouts to suit the way you work with the tab groups.
What does Mosaic offer?
- Create any number of layouts with configurable network and channel. It is possible to set apps in their own space without having to scroll through the multiple spaces.
- You can create a custom layout for the configuration from three sections. With planning groups, organize them further to fit the specific workflow.
- By using the Touch Bar, all the layouts will be at your fingertips. You don’t have to remember any shortcuts or select a modifier key.
- Mosaic Remote makes all your formats available on iOS. With one click, you can switch between layouts on your Mac.
- Choose from Standard or Professional versions depending on your needs.
Download: Mosaic ($13 for Standard, $33 for Pro, free trial available)
Moom is a customizable window manager that lets you quickly move and minimize windows around the screen. To get started, hover over any green Zoom button and choose the position you want to use from the popup panel. You can also drag a window to an edge or corner of the screen.
After a few seconds, it will display a preview showing the size and location of the dragged window. The app also allows you to configure a hotkey to launch the Moom logo. Using only custom commands in keyboard mode, you can control the position of windows anywhere on the screen.
Unique Features of Moom
- When you press the key
AltAs you hover over the green icon, you will get several presets for changing the position and magnification of the windows.
- Create and define custom controls through the tab customized. Set up actions that will resize, move, and capture windows across multiple screens. This is great for anyone who wants fixed form windows.
- You can save the window layout as a snapshot. Later, you can easily activate this layout again and return the windows to their original position.
- Link custom controls together to perform complex window management operations with the press of a hotkey. For example, you can move a window to another screen, then maximize it to full screen.
Download: Moom ($10, free trial available)
Which window management app for macOS should you choose?
Depending on your needs, you may find it difficult to choose between these apps. For example, by comparing Magnet and BetterSnapTool, they are excellent window management apps on Mac with some overlapping features. BetterSnapTool offers many unique features – custom shrink areas, multiple ways to capture windows, and better integration with Desktop Spaces.
Mosaic and Moom are professional applications that provide customized solutions to window management problems. They are a little expensive, but both are unique. Mosaic has a bit of a learning curve. You may not be able to use it perfectly during the trial period.
Easily switch between apps and windows
There is a cost that comes with matching multiple windows. When you leave it as a clutter on the screen, it will affect your productivity and make you waste time. With these applications, you will regain control of unmanageable windows.
Then, you might consider the matter of switching between apps. While that
Cmd + Tab It is the default method, however it is not the most efficient way to switch between applications. Take a look at the best apps to switch between apps and windows on Mac to get more.