Do you find it inconvenient to type in your password every time you turn on your computer? If so, you can already automate the entire login process on your Windows 10 PC.
This automatic login feature is built into the operating system itself, and all you have to do is enable it to get rid of the inconvenience of constant and frequent login.
In this guide, we’ll look at three ways you can sign in to your user account on Windows 10 automatically.
Does the user account become less secure if I do this?
If you are the only one who has physical access to your computer, it is OK to use the automatic login feature. This will take the hassle out of typing your password at every login every time.
However, if other people are using your computer, your data may not be secure as anyone can log into your account and view your files.
1. Using Netplwiz to log in to the user account automatically
The easiest way to automatically log into a user account on Windows 10 is to use the netplwiz utility. This tool comes pre-built on all Windows devices, and you need to tweak some options to enable automatic login.
To get started, keep your username and password handy, then follow these steps to automate the login process on your computer:
- press the . key
Windows + R, And type netplwiz In the Run dialog box, press Enter.
- Click the tab Users in the dialog that appears.
- Click your user account in the list of all users on your computer.
- Option must be deselected Users must enter a username and password to use this computer above. This enables you to sign in to your account automatically. Then clickApplication“.
- A prompt will appear asking for your login details. Type your username in the Username field, enter the password in the Password and Confirm Password fields, and click OK.
- Click OK on the main tool interface.
Restart your computer, and you will find that it no longer asks for the password.
To disable the automatic login feature, simply uncheck the option Users must enter a username and password to use this computer In the netplwiz utility.
2. Use the Windows registry to log in to the user account automatically
The Windows registry allows you to enable and disable many features on your computer. You can use the Registry Editor to log into your user accounts as well automatically, and this only requires tweaking some fields.
While using this method, make sure not to touch any entries you are not sure of. It is always a good idea to back up the registry before making any changes to it.
Keep your username and password handy, then follow these steps to enable automatic login to your account:
- press the . key
Windows + R, And type regedit , and press Enter.
- Press Yes at the resulting prompt.
- When the registry editor opens, navigate to the following path.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVersion Winlogon
- Find the entry that says DefaultUserName on the right and double-click it.
- Enter your username in the value data field and click OK.
- Double click DefaultPassword On the right. If you don’t see this entry, right-click anywhere in the right pane, click New, and select String Value. use DefaultPassword as the input name.
- Double-click the entry and type your password in the Value data field. Then clickOK“.
- Look for AutoAdminLogon on the right and double-click it.
- Enter 1 in the Value data field and click OK.
- Close Registry Editor and restart your computer.
The next time you start your computer, it will take you directly to the desktop.
To turn off automatic login, change the value of AutoAdminLogon to 0.
3. Use an app to automatically log in to a user account
There is also a third-party app to help you automatically sign in to the user account on Windows 10. If you frequently turn this feature on and off, you may want to use this app instead of the above methods.
Autologon is an application that enables you to enable and disable the automatic login feature with a single click. It is a free app that you can get from the official Microsoft website.
If you do not plan to install the application, you can use the portable version of it, which works just like the installable version.
Here are the steps you need to follow to start using this application on your PC:
- Download, extract and run Autologon on your Windows PC.
- Enter your username in the Username field, enter your domain in the Domain field (this should be auto-filled in most cases), type your password in the Password field, and click Enable.
- Automatic login is now enabled on your computer.
If at any time you want to disable automatic login, click the button disable in the application.
There may be times when you want your computer to ask for your password instead of taking you directly to the desktop. In these cases, you only need to hold down the key Shift on the keyboard, and this will stop the automatic login for that particular session.
One of the good things about this app is that it saves your password in history with encryption (Learn how encryption works). If someone gains access to the history, they will not be able to read your password.
Quickly log into your user account on Windows 10
With Windows 10 introducing the built-in automatic login feature, you don’t have to type in your password every time you want to use your PC. Use one of the above methods to take full advantage of this functionality on your computer.
Just make sure no one else can access your computer, and you should be fine when using it.
Besides logging in, there are many other tasks that you can run automatically on your computer to save time. Check out the best automation tools to let the freelancer save their time.