Microsoft Word is a commonly used word processor, but there are still many who don’t like to use it. Whether it’s because of cost, accessibility, or features, not everyone is a fan of Word.
If you fall into this category, you can use alternative office suites like LibreOffice or WPS Office.
However, there are still plenty of other great and free options out there if you know where to look. Here are several new alternatives to Microsoft Word that you might not know about.
Jarte has a neat and clean interface that makes it easy to work with your documents. You can create multiple documents in one window using the tabs at the top. You also have options to customize the app for button labels, automatic link detection, and text wrapping.
- Editing with basic tools like copy, paste, find and spell check as well as a dictionary and thesaurus.
- Insert pictures, hyperlinks, tables, equations, and objects.
- Format fonts in bold, italic, underlining, color, size, and style.
- Adjust paragraphs using alignment, indentation, line spacing, and tabs.
- And more: Multiple views, word counts, pages, icons, zoom in or out, and built-in screen capture feature.
You can download and use Jarte for free. If you are interested in additional features such as custom keyboard shortcuts, scripting, and autocorrection, you can take a look at Jarte Plus.
Download: Jarte (Free)
For an app that has the same familiar look as Microsoft Word, check out AbleWord. You have a standard menu at the top for tools like File, Edit, View, Quick Actions button below, Undo, Redo, Spell Check, and Font Formatting bar.
- Save documents in DOC, DOCX, PDF, HTML or TXT format.
- Insert pictures, text frames, tables, and page numbers.
- Format lines, paragraphs, styles, columns, bullets, and numbering.
- Use tables by inserting, selecting, or deleting with merging and splitting cells.
- And More: PDF import, print or view draft layout, word count, zoom in or out, and page layout options.
AbleWord is available to download for free with all features. And if you need help getting started, just click the Help button from the toolbar or visit AbleWord Help on the web
Download: AbleWord (Free)
SSuite Office provides a suite of applications such as a word processor, spreadsheet, and editor. One such application is called WordGraph and it is a great alternative to Microsoft Word. Similar to AbleWord, you have a standard menu at the top, action buttons, and a formatting toolbar. Each new document is on its own tab.
- Select views from full width, middle outline, or full height with thumbnails displayed along the side.
- Insert objects, images, tables, links, emojis, equations, AutoText and cursive art.
- Format fonts, paragraphs, and visual text effects.
- Use spelling and word count tools, track changes, dictionaries, list synonyms, and online translations.
- And more: tiled windows, document export, modification history, statistics, keyboard shortcuts, and cloud storage integration.
You can download WordGraph for free as well as other products from SSuite. You can also check out our helpful online tutorials if you have any specific questions.
Download: WordGraph (Free)
FocusWriter is perfect for anyone who wants a distraction-free writing experience. When you open FocusWriter, you will see the document area on a wooden background. So, you can start writing right away. But the app also provides the features you need in a word processor when you place your mouse at the top of a window.
- Editing with basic undo, redo, cut, copy, and paste features.
- Format fonts, paragraphs, indents, and headings.
- Use the tools to find and replace, check spelling, and symbols.
- Adjust settings for focused text, themes, and focus preferences.
- And more: Hideaway’s four edge widgets, focus timer, daily progress stats, goal setting, toolbar customizations, and keyboard shortcuts.
FocusWriter is free and available on multiple platforms. If you love the features of word processors but prefer a focused typing option, this is the app for you.
Download: FocusWriter (Free)
5. Page Four
Although Page Four is intended for creative writers, it’s a great word processor for casual users as well. This is due to the Notebook feature that provides an organized hierarchy of your items. So, you can create new notebooks, add folders and subfolders, and insert pages easily.
- Navigate to each page with tabs at the bottom of the window.
- Format lines, paragraphs, and lists.
- Use the tools to import or export notebooks, word count, and secure documents via password.
- Clicking Smart-Edit to scan your document for overused words and phrases.
- Search for text in pages or in notebooks.
- And more: a customizable full-screen typing view, a snapshot feature with list view, and the ability to insert dates, characters, links, or email addresses.
Page Four comes from Bad Wolf Software and is available for free. Just note that the app will not receive future improvements. But if you like the idea of a free app that keeps your work well organized, go for it.
Download: Page Four (Free)
6. Shaxpir 4
Shaxpir 4 (pronounced like Shakespeare) is another perfect word processor for creative writers. But don’t let that stop you from trying it for documents, articles, and even brainstorming. You can organize your documents by type such as books, short stories or articles, all through an attractive and easy to use interface.
- Navigate to content using the sidebar.
- Format fonts, paragraphs, styles, and lists.
- Insert images, links and quotes.
- Export items in DOCX or HTML format.
- Plus: version history (paid feature), word count, spell checking, color-coded display, animation, spelling, content creation by genre and folder.
Shaxpir 4 is available for free and comes with a free trial for Shaxpir 4: Pro. If you decide to sign up for the upgrade, you will receive features such as EPUB export, custom themes, and version history. However, you can still continue using the free version if you prefer.
Download: Shaxpir 4 (Free)
LyX is a full-featured word processor with a lot of extras. You might be surprised at how many buttons you see at the bottom of the menu when you open Lyx, but ScreenTips as you hover over the buttons help. Locate
ملف -> جديد And you are on your way. You can also work with multiple documents using the easy-to-use tabbed view.
- Format lines, lists, paragraphs, and sections.
- View the outline, source, and parts of a document within the window.
- Insert everything from images, links, and tables to mathematical formulas, citations, and comments.
- Use the spelling, thesaurus, statistics, and file comparisons tools.
- And More: Import and export to and from dozens of file types, math macros, margin notes, footnotes, annotations, cross-references, and index entries.
LyX is free, open source, and available across multiple platforms. The website offers a lot of useful information regarding versions, bug tracking and development statuses.
Download: LyX (Free)
8. Thinkfree Online Editor
If you’d rather not download a word processor, Thinkfree Online Editor is an excellent choice. To get started, either tap new document In addition to the mark on the home page or select Word from the New Document drop-down box at the top. When the editor opens, you will see the standard menu items and buttons.
- Download documents as DOCX or PDF files.
- Format lines and paragraphs.
- Add headers, footers, endnotes, page numbers, or page breaks.
- Insert shapes, pictures, tables, text boxes, icons, bookmarks, or links.
- And more: selection tools, ruler, and task pane views, zoom in or out, page setup options like size, orientation, color, and margins
Website: Thinkfree Online Editor (Free)
Another great online editing option is Hemingway. You can click onWriting“From the top to start and then”ReleaseTo access useful tools. Although this editor does not offer specific image, table or download features like other options, it does give you a good typing experience.
- Format fonts in bold or italics.
- Add H1, H2, or H3 headers.
- Create quotes with one click.
- Insert links and lists with bullets or numbers.
- And more: Readability widgets, color-coded display for active voice, adverbs, hard-to-read sentences, word and letter counts, and more.
Hemingway is one of the simplest yet useful free online writing apps. In addition to accessing it through the Internet, you can check out the Hemingway Editor 3 desktop application with a lot of cool features.
Website: Hemingway (Free)
Download: Hemingway Editor 3 for Windows | Mac ($19.99)
One of the last alternatives on this list to Microsoft Word that is freely available online is Draft. This very simple web app has the features you need to create, edit and save your documents. Like Hemingway, you can type directly on the screen (once you create a free account). One of its notable features is version control.
- Format fonts in bold or italics.
- Insert comments, assignments, images, excerpts, and footnotes.
- Export documents in TXT, HTML, DOC or PDF format.
- Share to get help with your documents from co-workers or fellow students.
- And more: Create folders to organize, preview and Hemingway modes, import files, and customize interface settings.
Draft is a basic yet easy-to-use app for your writing needs. From business to personal to educational, create the documents you need on any computer connected to the Internet.
Website: Draft (Free)
Best alternatives to Microsoft Word
Whether it’s cost, access, or features, there are many word processing apps out there that can give you what you need if you want to move away from Microsoft Word. So, choose the one that best suits you and start writing. You can also check out the best writers and writing apps.