Locate my device is a new feature on Windows 10 that allows you to regularly save your computer’s location.
This way, if you lose your computer or if your computer is stolen, you will be able to see the last known location of the computer on the web space of the Microsoft account you are signed in with on the computer.
Do you want to know where your computer is located and thus avoid having your personal data stolen if it is lost or stolen?
In this tutorial we will see how enable device location on Windows 10.
Find my device: how does it work?
The first step is to activate the Find my device feature on your Windows 10 PC.
At regular intervals, your PC’s location is then sent and saved to your Microsoft account. To determine the position of your PC, Microsoft’s location service uses several sources: the GPS chip, nearby wireless access points, cell phone towers, and your IP address.
To locate your PC, all you have to do is go to your Microsoft account web space and select your computer to find out where it is.
Note that if you turn on Find My Device, your device will send anonymous location information to Microsoft (no information that clearly identifies you is sent). This location information is only used to improve Microsoft’s location services.
How do I use the Find My Device feature?
To use Find My Device, you must:
- Have a device (computer, tablet) under Windows 10
- Have a Microsoft account and be signed in to it on your Windows 10 device
- Enable Locate my device in Windows 10 settings
Enable device location on Windows 10
To enable your computer’s location on Windows 10, follow these instructions:
- Open them Settings.
- Go to Privacy> Location.
- Under Allow access to the location of this device, click on the button To modify. then activate the option Accessing location services for this device.
- Then go to Update & Security> Locate my device.
- Click on the button To modify then toggle the switch to activate the option Regularly record the location of my device.
- The Find My Device feature is now enabled on your computer. Regularly, the location of your PC is recorded on your Microsoft account, which will allow you to know where it is in case of loss or theft.
✓ Congratulation ! You have activated the Find my device feature on Windows 10. 👍
Find a lost or stolen computer
Once the Find My Device feature is enabled, you can locate and recover a lost or stolen computer.
To know how to know the position of a Windows 10 PC, follow this tutorial:
Windows 10: locate a lost or stolen computer