Several users encounter error 0x800701E3 when they perform an operation on a hard drive / SD card which implies copying or moving files on a Windows computer.
In most cases, the problem occurs when the user attempts to move files from one hard drive to another.
Other users report that the problem occurs when they try to erase installing Windows 10 or a different version of Windows.
- 1 Reasons for an error 0x800701E3
- 1.1 Method 1. Check or change the USB connection with the external drive
- 1.2 Method 2. Update the external USB drive drivers
- 1.3 Method 3: Reset Windows Update Components.
- 1.4 Method 4: Run the DISM tool to fix the error 0x800701E3.
- 1.5 Method 5: Run the SFC (System File Checker) scan
- 1.6 Method 6: Repair hard drive if sectors are bad
- 1.7 Method 7: Disable the “Secure Boot” feature
- 1.8 Conclusion:
Reasons for an error 0x800701E3
The error message ” The request failed due to a Fatal device hardware error Appears when the user tries to copy or send files from the computer to a external hard drive.
And here are the main reasons why this happens:
- Cable problems. It may be damaged or poorly connected. Therefore, the data cannot be transferred.
- Hardware issues on a external hard drive.
- Other problems with an external hard drive. Most often these bad sectors cause the error “The request failed due to a Fatal device hardware error”
[10 Solutions] Fix the error: “Discord does not launch”
To correct the error Windows upgrade installer 0x800701E3, you can try performing the resolutions steps below.
Please check if the problem is corrected after each troubleshooting step. If the problem persists, you can go to the next step.
IAstorDataSvc: Fix High CPU Usage [6 Solutions]
Method 1. Check or change the USB connection with the external drive
Very often the problem is a port or one damaged cable. Therefore, try another port to transfer data between your computer and an external hard drive or, if that doesn’t help, look for a other usb cable. This method is particularly good if your external hard drive is in the position detected / not detected when you connect it to the computer.
[11 Solutions] For “Com Surrogate Has Ceased to Function”
Method 2. Update the external USB drive drivers
To correct ” The request failed due to a Fatal device hardware error ” , you can update driver. The pilots obsolete lead to interruptions in the operation of the external hard drive. For that, proceed as following :
- Simultaneously press the keys Win + X, then select Device Manager .
- Select now the external reader desired and click on it with the right mouse button.
- From the list, select Update the driver. Wait until the process is complete and check if the problem is gone.
[8 Solutions] Solve “Bad System Config Info” Win 10
Method 3: Reset Windows Update Components.
Resetting Windows Update components allows you to to delete files in folders SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2. To correct the upgrade error 0x800701E3, it is necessary to remove all old Windows Update files.
To perform the operation, follow the troubleshooting steps below.
- Click on the button To start up, type CMD in the search box, when command prompt appears, right-click and select the option Execute as administrator.
- In the command line, type the following commands and press Entrance after each order:
net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
net stop appidsvc
net stop cryptsvc
- After having disabled services required, you need to delete some files from drive C in a folder.
- Navigate to the location C: Windows SoftwareDistribution and delete all files in this folder.
- To do this, in the command line, type the following command and press Enter: Del “% ALLUSERSPROFILE% ApplicationData Microsof Network Downloader qmgr * .dat”
- After that type the command below and press Entrance.
cd / d% windir% system32
- Then run this ” batch script“, Which can help you solve the different types of problems related to Windows Update. This script can be used in all versions of Windows to Download it:
https://www.bynarycodes.com/wp content / uploads_eng / 2018/04 / Batch-File-to-Reset Windows-Update_BCodes.zip
- restart Winshock with this command and press ENTER : netsh winsock reset
- After that you have to restart all services stopped. To do this, type each of the commands below and press Entrance.
net start bits
net start wuauserv
net start appidsvc
net start cryptsvc
- Now close the‘command prompt, restart your computer and try to run the Windows configuration. This should resolve error 0x800701E3 in your computer. If the error persists, follow the other troubleshooting steps.
[6 Solutions] PC has encountered a problem and needs to restart
Method 4: Run the DISM tool to fix the error 0x800701E3.
The Deployment Image Management and Maintenance Tool is a tool that is integrated into the
Windows and can be used for maintain a Windows image. He often corrects many issues with various aspects of Windows and can therefore help you in this area as well. Note that this is a tool very powerful and that making a mistake when you run it may to cause problems – so be careful.
Follow the steps below to run the DISM tool on your computer.
- Tap on the Windows logo, in the search bar, type CMD . The option Command Prompt is displayed.
Right click on it and select the option Execute as administrator.
- When you are on your Command Prompt, type the following commands, and then press Entrance on your keyboard after each command, in order to execute it. Make sure to wait until the first command will be finished working before starting with the second.
DISM.exe / Online / Cleanup-image / Scanhealth
DISM.exe / Online / Cleanup-image / Restorehealth
- wait for the second command to complete and close the command prompt by clicking the X , or by typing exit and pressing Between.
- Once it’s done, restart your computer and try to run again Windows installation. Hope the installation works fine without error 0x800701E3. If the problem persists, you can proceed to the next steps.
8 Ways to Fix Error 0x80070020
Method 5: Run the SFC (System File Checker) scan
The execution of SFC analysis for research corrupt files in the computer and repair them. To correct error 0x800701E3 during Windows configuration, you can try to run the SFC scan.
To run the SFC scan, follow the steps below:
- Press the key Windows to open the menu To start up.
- Type command prompt Where CMD in the search box.
- Right-click on Command Prompt. Select Execute as administrator.
- Come in the password if it is requested.
- Type sfc / scannow on the command prompt and press Entrance.
- The analysis will take some time. Then restart your computer.
try to run again Windows configuration and check if the error 0x800701E3 has been resolved.
[9 Solutions] Fix “Windows Store Won’t Open”
Method 6: Repair hard drive if sectors are bad
Bad sectors Where errors in hard drive also prevent you from performing Windows upgrade and to provoke error 0x800701E3. To check hard drive bad sectors, you can try performing the resolution steps below.
- In the search box, type CMD.
- Right-click on Co promptorders and select Execute as administrator.
- In the command prompt, type chkdsk C: / f / r / x and press Entrance.
The parameters of this command are:
-The option / f will attempt to correct any errors found.
-The option / r will locate bad sectors and recover all readable information.
-The option / x will force the volume you are about to check to be unmounted before the utility begins scanning.
- If drive C : is used, type Y to start a search the next time you restart your PC. If so, exit Command Prompt. and restart the computer.
- Analysis of the hard drive part will take some time. He will search Errors and will correct them automatically. Hopefully the Windows upgrade will work fine this time around without the error 0x800701E3.
[7 Solution] Fix Error 0xc1900107 Windows 10
Method 7: Disable the “Secure Boot” feature
Some affected users reported that error 0x800701E3 no longer occurred during a clean install of Windows after disabling “” Secure boot “ of “UEFI / BOOT”.
“Secure boot” is an industry standard that was developed by the largest manufacturers in the PC industry to ensure that PCs use only Original software (Original Equipment Manufacturers) (OEM).
However, this security feature is known to create problems with installation media created outside official channels (using Rufus and other similar software).
Here is a quick guide on disabling “Secure Boot”:
- Press the key several times Setup after switching on your machine (during the initial start-up sequence).
- Press the key BIOS during the start-up procedure.
Remark : Most of the time, the start key is visible on the screen during the initial screen. But you can also search online for your Setup button or press the keys typically used for this purpose: key Esckeys F3, F8, F12, F1, F2, F3 or Del key.
- Once you access the BIOS menu, look for a parameter named ” Secure boot »And set it to Deactivated. The exact name and location will be different from manufacturer to manufacturer, but you will usually find it in the tab Security – you might also find it in the tab Boot Where Authentication.
- Save changes and exit your BIOS settings. Next, check if you are still getting the error 0x800701E3.
The above resolution steps help you to fix Windows upgrade error 0x800701E3. Hope the installation works without an error message. If you find this article useful, respond in the comments.